Renewable Energy Rural Electrification Programme
The Rural Energy Agency of Tanzania wanted to deliver modern energy services to the rural regions in the country. They planned to do this through various programmes that include renewable energy solutions. The solutions had to include solar, hydropower, biomass and mini-grids.
Bigen provided technical assistance as a support function for two years. The appointment included assessing various projects and helping local developers prepare projects and secure funding. The key focus areas were on implementation, the development of specific project tools, relevant training, strategic developer assistance, targeted communities support and programme monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Overall programme management on behalf of the Rural Energy Agency
- Screening and assessment of projects
- Preparation and review of projects for funding and execution
- Preparation of project specific delivery tool
- Project financial services
- Project procurement services
- Strategic planning for energy projects
- Advisory services
- Provision of electricity to rural communities
- Provision of employment opportunities through project delivery
- Skills transfer to both the client, stakeholders and beneficiary communities through formal and informal training sessions and workshops
Development Advisory and Impact