DBE Programme Support Unit for ASIDI
Education infrastructure in South Africa’s rural communities has been in crisis for multiple decades. A significant challenge with infrastructure exacerbates problems within the classroom and could contribute to low literacy and matriculation rates.
Bigen was tasked with upgrading school infrastructure in South Africa to conform to minimum norms and standards set by DBE for the DBE Programme Support Unit for ASIDI.
Bigen’s solution involved the replacement of 500 schools built from inappropriate materials throughout South Africa, improved water supply, sanitation, and supply of electricity through 2 500 services projects.
Scholars benefit from improved water, sanitation, electricity, lighting and fencing infrastructure, improved sports facilities, disabled access, communications technology and safety and job creation through construction projects.
- Programme management Engineering services.
- Project management
- Social facilitation.
- Skills development services.
- Legal services.
- Infrastructure and building assessments.
- Enterprise development services.
- Replacement of 500 schools built from inappropriate materials throughout South Africa.
- Improved water supply, sanitation and electricity supply through 2500 services project.
- Improved services for the benefit of scholars.
- Job creation through construction projects.
Development Advisory and Impact