DBE ASIDI EC61
Bigen was tasked with upgrading school infrastructure in South Africa to conform to minimum norms and standards set by DBE for the ASIDI Programme.
61 school sites in the Eastern Cape were identified to benefit from the ASIDI Programme. Bigen was allocated a total of 33 sites to implement.
Bigen implemented Modular, Water, Sanitation and Fencing construction projects in the Eastern Cape.
The scope of work implemented included improved water supply, appropriate sanitation facilities with disabled access, supply of electricity and lighting, playground equipment for Grade R learners, Modular classroom units which included classrooms for different age groups, multi-purpose units for science as well as media and library facilities, an administration unit for teachers and the school principal which included a built-in dining and nutrition centre for learners. All facilities provided were appropriately fenced off within the school boundary areas.
- Programme management Engineering services.
- Project management and Principal Agent services.
- Civil, Structural, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering services.
- Social facilitation.
- Skills development services.
On the ASIDI Programme the work on the sub-programmes lead to an eradication of backlog in basic services at schools identified on a national Project Master List as baseline:
- The replacement of inappropriate structures where either mud, wood or “plankie” material were used;
- To provide for basic water supply as described in part by regulations that were published;
- To provide for basic sanitary as described by regulations that were published; and
- To provide for basic electricity.
Development Advisory and Impact